Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Peach Among the Pairs

So...it is the month for expressive Love...romance...Valentine's Day.  Egad!  I have to admit, seeing that on the calendar is akin to a goblin goosing me at Halloween.  The world screams reminders of how alone we are when we are not paired up with the soul mate of our dreams.  And the tendancy is to perhaps feel very misplaced in a world of couples when you are single...
However, it is important to have a little perspective before sliding down into the pit of lonliness.  First, I have (and I am sure you have) far too many fabulous people in my life to ever make the claim I am alone.  Secondly, I wouldn't trade places with too many of my friends who are in a relationship...they are really hard work!  And most importantly, I think that whether or not I am involved in a relationship with a man I love and admire has little bearing on how I should view myself any day of the year.
So, why the second guessing of being alone when Valentine's Day rolls around...why feel like a giant billboard has been erected in the universe advertising that the world is made for pairs and not individuals?  Because Hallmark likes it that way...
What then shall I do?  Bemoan that I will not get that special Valentine and roses and fabulous dinner OR, send out cards to the wonderful people who have blessed my life?  Real tough choice...NOT. 
I am reminded that I have invested deeply into the lives of people, and the return is always there.  With few exceptions in a lifetime, my friends have not 'broken up' with me, or unfriended me.  There are, to be honest, those who have, and for them I send a prayer and a blessing and hope that they are well.
For the rest, I send this wish, that 2012 would give us quality time together, whether laughing, watching a movie, taking a hike, traveling, or deep in conversation.  I would have you know, I am grateful you are part of my life.
So rather than feel like a thorn on the rose of February, I celebrate being a Peach Among the Pairs.

Here I sit, another day..
A peach among the pairs...amd secretly hoping that it will not always be that way, but knowing I will be just fine if it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment